Skip to main content

My Thoughts on Innersense Organic Beauty

I had heard about Innersense and Yarok for a while and had never really looked into them because of the price. Now that I'm trying to buy better products, I've found out that as far as natural products go, there are plenty of brands that are more expensive than them.

image source

Innersense Organic Beauty was founded in January 2005 by Greg and Joanne Starkman. Greg had a background in the cosmetic industry and Joanna spent 20 years as a hairstylist. By combining their knowledge and ideas, they formed their company. The catalyst for their company was their daughter, Morgan, who was diagnosed with Williams Syndrome, a rare genetic disorder, when she was 22 months old. They wanted to raise her in a healthy environment. Years later, when they started Innersense, they decided to put purity, peace of mind, and self-care in the forefront. They committed themselves to learning about green chemistry and toxin-free hair products. They want to empower their customers to make good choices about their health and wellness and be able to choose safe, clean products. 

I feel like a lot of companies are jumping in on the natural, green, clean train but not doing it safely at all. They're turning customers into frightened people who are chemophobia. Oh, the horrors, chemicals. Make sure not to breath O2 or drink H2O. You can't avoid chemicals. And while you can't totally avoid things like petroleum, unless you're living off the land away from the general population, I feel like people should be allowed to pick and choose and limit their contact with what they want.

Although some brands stop here, Innersense also has their products challenge tested to make sure the preservatives they use do what they are supposed to do. PET (preservative efficacy testing) is something that not all brands do, even though they should.

Parabens work, whether people like them or not, they do the job they are supposed to do and that's inhibit bacteria, yeast, and mold. They are very cheap and have been around for decades. However, there are more options available and companies should explore the choices they have, but do so safely.

If you want to learn more about their company, check out this 2015 article from Beauty Lies Truth.


Customer Service
My eyes were opened a few months ago about challenge testing and how poorly regulated the cosmetic industry is in the US. Unsafe products, bad labels, non-compliant claims are a few of the issues at hand. Although I would assume that larger companies have their products tested, I decided it would be best to be safe rather than sorry and started to contact brands whose products I was interested in buying.

The results were a bit shocking. Companies wouldn't get back to me at all or would block me on social media, which is your answer right there. I suppose the good news is that I could cross them off my list.

I contacted Innersense on FB and they got back to me right away. I apologised because I feel like asking if they challenge test their products could come across as confrontational, but since in my experience not all companies do this, I had to ask. They didn't know the answer and told me that they would check. When they did get back to me, they confirmed that yes, they do challenge test their products.

Affordable Luxury Products
Ok, I'll admit. These are not cheap products. I feel like everyone has a different idea of what  product should cost and what they will splurge on. For example, I would rather spend more money on gel than conditioner. However, I'd also rather spend money on a safely made product that has been proven to be well-formulated, than one that hasn't. I also would rather support smaller businesses than large conglomerates, such as the case with Shea Moisture.

This is what I would consider an indie luxury brand. The good thing is that they do have trial sizes (that cost more per ounce) and you might want to consider getting those to see if this product works for your hair. These products are a couple dollars per ounce. I know some people buy their whole line and others pick and choose. You have to figure out what works for you. Although they have a limited selection, they are coming out with new products, such as the dry shampoo that came out this summer.

Ethics
I'm sad to see that they don't have a dedicated section on their website about their ethics. They do have some information in their Press section. I've seen them win award for Earth Day. I know that they manufacture their products in a designated US FDA facility. They don't test on animals and they follow strict standards with their supply chain partners to ensure sustainability. They list all their ingredients. A pet-peeve of mine is when companies hide ingredients in proprietary blends or put essential oil blend down on the label.

 I've seen them raise awareness for disabilities as well. I really wish they would show how they give back to the community, because I know they do a lot. They also re-formulate their products to maintain on the cutting edge of green beauty standards. Their ingredients are sourced both globally and locally, but they have the same ethical standards for both.

There are definitely issues with Think Dirty and EWG, but if you're interested, they rank very well there. They hold certificates from Think Dirty, Leaping Bunny, Green Business CA, Truth in Labeling, Campaign for Safe Cosmetics, and their containers are recyclable. In addition, although they are not certified with Made Safe, they're a supporting brand.

My Reviews
Below are the Innersense Organic Beauty products I have reviewed. I got samples from Bella Cuore and have to say that I wish I bought trial sizes rather than samples. For double the price, I would have gotten much, much more product. I have reviewed other companies and their products as well and you can find those on my complete list.
Discount Codes and Sales
They often have a sale in July and December. Here is the label for all the past sales and deals. You can also find a list at the bottom of this post.

Comments