Skip to main content

My Thoughts on Yarok

I had heard about Yarok and Innersense for a while and had never really looked into them because of the price. Now that I'm trying to buy better products, I've found out that as far as natural products go, there are plenty of brands that are more expensive than them.
image source
image source
Yarok Hair Care was founded in 2009 by Mordechai Alvow. A hair stylist who is also a certified aromatherapist, he is committed to the planet and using plant derivatives in hair care. They are organic, wild-crafted, and ethically sourced.

I feel like a lot of companies are jumping in on the natural, green, clean train but not doing it safely at all. His website is slightly chemophobic. Oh, the horrors, chemicals. Make sure not to breath O2 or drink H2O. You can't avoid chemicals. And while you can't totally avoid things like petroleum, unless you're living off the land away from the general population, I feel like people should be allowed to pick and choose and limit their contact with what they want.

Yarok's products have a lot of ingredients. It's slightly daunting. I strongly encourage you to look at them since some essential oils might not work for everyone. They are chosen for their properties and affects. I think as a certified aromatherapist, Mordechai is able to take his training and add to his products to ensure that they are formulated safely.

Although many brands stop here, Yarok also has their products challenge tested to make sure the preservatives they use do what they are supposed to do. PET (preservative efficacy testing) is something that not all brands do, even though they should.

Parabens work, whether people like them or not, they do the job they are supposed to do and that's inhibit bacteria, yeast, and mold. They are very cheap and have been around for decades. However, there are more options available and companies should explore the choices they have, but do so safely and I'm glad to see that Yarok is leading the way.


Customer Service
I have not had any interaction with their customer service.

Affordable Luxury Products
Ok, I'll admit. These are not cheap products. I feel like everyone has a different idea of what a product should cost and what they will splurge on. For example, I would rather spend more money on gel than conditioner. However, I'd also rather spend money on a safely made product that has been proven to be well-formulated, than one that hasn't. I also would rather support smaller businesses than large conglomerates, such as the case with Shea Moisture.

This is what I would consider an indie luxury brand. The good thing is that they do have trial sizes (that cost more per ounce) and you might want to consider getting those to see if this product works for your hair. They also have sets, that will save you money if you buy the set rather than each product. I know some people buy their whole line and others pick and choose. You have to figure out what works for you. They have about a dozen products.
Ethics
Yarok donates 3% of their profits to the Pachamama Alliance, which protects the Amazon Rainforest.

There are definitely issues with Think Dirty and EWG, but if you're interested, they rank very well there. They hold certificates from Leaping Bunny, NAHA, and Organic Hair Colorist.

My Reviews
Below is the Yarok Hair Care product I have reviewed. I got samples from Bella Cuore and have to say that I wish I bought trial sizes rather than samples. For double the price, I would have gotten much, much more product. I have reviewed other companies and their products as well and you can find those on my complete list.
Discount Codes and Sales
They've had sales for Earth Day. You can find the latest sales under the label for all the past sales and deals. You can also find a list at the bottom of this post.

Comments